"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."
Galatians 2:20

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Sweet Tooth Cravings: Beware of "m &m"!


Nothing can be more delightful than talking about sweets.  Who doesn't like candy anyway? I was introduced to "m&m" at a very young age for better or for worse.

I don't particularly have a sweet tooth but I can  effortlessly eat packs after packs of these colorful rounds candies. I always begin with wise intentions  by gulping one or two and then convincing myself that I should probably stay clear of them.

Those promises are usually thrown under the bus before quickly realizing that I have once again succumbed to these addictive things . The funny part is that I can eat an impressionable amount without even noticing it. I always beat myself up because of my lack of self-control.

" I have fallen again! These little monsters got me! They made me do it."

Really, chile? Well, I kinda have a confession...

What had happened is...

Eventhough I am a work in progress, I have real issues with " m&m". However, I am not alluding to the sugary counterparts that can give you toothaches or stomachaches if you eat too much of them but rather to those that can give you a "rotten heart".

I can already hear some of you say: "Come again!"

Well, just like for anything created under the heavens, there is always a counterfeit. Yes, you guessed it! There is "sweet m&m" and then there is " rotten m&m".

Think again if you believe that you have not eaten a mouthful of " rotten m&m" yet ! Have you ever spoken under your breath about how you really feel about a certain situation while pretending that you trust God for the outcome? Have you ever grumbled and complained about your current circumstances by holding your own pity party? Have you told the whole world how the sky was falling while neglecting to tell it to the Only One who matters most: The All-knowing and All-powerful God.

If you answered yes to all of these questions, you have eaten "rotten m&m" or partaken to "mumbling" and "murmuring". You are not alone! I am 100 % guilty as well.

Over the past year and half, I have been undergoing a maturing process. While I do my best to submit to the Holy Spirit and learn to obey him,  I often did not go out without putting some resistance. That's when God showed me in His Word that you and I were not very different from the children of Israel whose behaviors at times paralleled  those of  "spoiled-brats" and "cranky toddlers".


Can you believe I even have the nerve to become irritated by them while reading the book of Numbers chapter 11, 12 and 13. I mean, who in their right mind  would despise God's Manna over Meat or would reminisce about fish, cucumbers, melon, leeks, onions ? Even worse, who would prefer to return to slavery (Egypt) and trade their freedom for some garlic? Who does that?

I will now get off my soapbox because as I kept reading and pondering about our Hebrew ancestors, I discovered that not only do we share similarities but we also got skilled at being in denial.

Here are some ways that we subtly m&m (murmur and mumble) about God' s plan concerning us:

- Being nostalgic over the past because we are not where we thought we should be in life.

- Being literally oblivious to how blessed we are.

- Rebelling against the Leadership of the Holy Spirit by taking matters into our own hands.

- Building idols by following the advice of mere mortal men as gospel rather than trusting the Counsel of God, written in his Word, the Bible. God can also use people to communicate to us but whatever they say must be aligned with the Word of God.

- Having the "Grasshopper syndrome" who acts surprised when he did not reap any harvest because he did not sow any seed while it was time to plant. I guess the Ant would reply: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat." 2 Thessalonians 3:10

- Seeing ourselves as grasshoppers and blaming our lack of progress on " Imaginary giants" rather than moving by faith and believing that: 
" God is able to make every grace overflow to you, so that in every way, always having everything you need, you may excel in every good work." (2 Corinthians 9:8, HCS Bible)

- Failing to meditate on God's Word so that we can learn how to be successful God's way. (Joshua 1:8)

- Being spiritually lazy by hoping to move the mountain of difficulties in our lives through wishful thinking rather than prayer, worship, praise and fasting.

- Not practicing " Active Gratitude" and being thankful for what God has already done for us in the past, is still doing in the present and that He is faithful to keep His promises towards us not because we deserve it but for His Name's sake

" You will know that I am the LORD, O people of Israel, when I have honored my name by treating you mercifully in spite of your wickedness. I, the Sovereign LORD, have spoken!" (Ezekiel 20:44, NLT)

These words are true for us today. There is no need to fret, to mumble and murmur. God got it! He has my back! He has your back! When we know better, shouldn't we do better?

Would we have His (Jesus' ) back ? He is counting on us! Please, Let us make it a goal to be so determined that no matter what it takes, we won't let Jesus down either in 2013 or any subsequent year.

It is my prayer that you will. Happy New year Everyone!

Prayer: Heavenly Father, You are Awesome! You are Mighty! You are wonderful!. Thank you for being compassionate, long-suffering and patient with us. Thank you for not always giving us what we want or deserve but what we need. Thank you for preserving us from self-destruction. We are grateful for the learning opportunities we had during the past year when our faith was being tested. As we start the new year stronger and wiser, may we not repeat the same mistakes. We thank you Lord for your favor that shall surround us like a shield throughout this new year. In Jesus' Name! Amen!



May your life be a Christ-like fragrance rising up to God !

Abi





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...